Mini reviews of Television seasons old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. Occasional bunnies.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Babylon 5 : Season 5: The Wheel of Fire (1998)

Season 5 was the ensign red shirt of the Babylon 5 universe. Everything went wrong, and there were a number of reasons why: Studio dithering (see here for info of that); Lochley replacing [spoiler] and trying hard not to be perceived as the obvious replacement that she was; Garibaldi being a twat, and the inclusion of his stupid new girlfriend in story-lines; Zack being the head of security and wanting to be John Wayne in every damn scene; and worst of all, the most hateful thing of all, Byron and his group of irritating hippy commune teeps. Every scene he's in turns my blood to fire. Even the intro was directionless this time, with no obvious arc to reference it had to use sound-bites from the previous seasons.

On the flip side, the episode that was set at Psi-Corps was interesting. I'd have liked that to have been developed more. I know the idea was later used for a trilogy of tie-in novels, but I haven't read any of them.

I've no right to feel cheated, but as a fan I feel supremely and royally wedgied. I know JMS could've did a better job if the suits hadn't stifled him. It's a shame the last season is such a black spot on an otherwise perfect series.

The final episode, however, is a thing of beauty. I had to watch parts of it twice because I'd tears threatening my eyes the first time.

22 episodes, approx 44 mins each.

2 bowls of cold spoo out of 5

No comments: