Mini reviews of Television seasons old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. Occasional bunnies.

Monday, April 4, 2016

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: The Light Samurai's Surprise Transformation (2009)


Genta has FAR more honor than sense. This is clear to see both in the series and in this DVD special. Luckily, Kyouryuu Origami doesn’t factor common sense into its judgements about who is worthy of wielding it as a blade. You watch this for Hyper Shinken Gold and to see how infinitely patient Takeru can be with his childhood friend. It’s inspiring and heartwarming. What isn't is Takeru's finisher. I'll detail the issues with it below the cut.

But, meh, DVD specials are always a little wonky in terms of minutiae.

2 BFFs out of 5

Kamen Rider Agito Special: A New Transformation (2001)


This was aired between episodes 35 and 36 and you’ll want to watch it then, too, as this conveys all of the emotional significance behind Agito’s final form. The debut of it in the show itself (in episode 37) assumes you’ve seen this as there’s not much in the way of specific explanation. G3 Mild appears here, as well, and he couldn’t be a more adorable underdog of a Rider. Ryo even continues to display his most amusing power: to repeatedly punch cops without ever getting arrested for it. Like Agito himself and his eponymous series, this special is both incredibly funny and touching.

4 (Broadly Speaking) 'Lost' Little Old Ladies out of 5

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs Beet Buster vs J (2012)


Sentai DVD specials have a history of focusing on their teams’ Reds and Sixths. As long as such bias isn’t rampant in a given series, or is justified via the writing, I don’t mind such narrowly-focused excursions. I adore Jin & J, and Hiromu, so no problems on that front! Besides, Yoko and Ryuuji are actually here, too!! 99% of this is hilarious and squee-worthy. The other 1% is Space Sheriff Gavan.

In the past, that sentence was followed by an intensely brief statement, with a strong expletive in it. I said, "Fuck him." I'm not here in April 2018 to rewrite the past, or censor myself. I'm here to explain myself, which is what I should have done originally. My apologies. For me, the series is gospel. Anything that goes against it, has to go. Dialogue and events within it seem to suggest that its head-writer, Kobayashi Yasuko, feels much the same. There are specifics that directly preclude the crossover films and the Come Back special from making sense within its narrative.

The same can possibly be said of Missions 31 and 32, which comprise Gavan's crossover with the team (what happens here is simply a cameo). The main point of contention is a repeated statement that contradicts the events of Mission 30. Having watched those episodes again, however, it seems to be an issue of ambiguity. Kobayashi makes the actual intent clearer in Mission 33 and completely clarifies it in Mission 34. I am living proof that this was capable of creating an issue for people who were already watching the series, and I imagine that it may have presented an even bigger one for anyone who jumped on board following the crossover.

I'm not personally sure how many comprise that number, though, as I find Gavan's aesthetics and gear to radically clash with the Busters', to the point of distraction. What also radically clashes is everyone's knowledge of Gavan, depending on what you're watching at a given moment. It's so disparate that this special does not seem to be able to take place before or after Missions 31 and 32. I've stated before that DVD extras such as this are always a little weird in terms of chronology. However, for me, all of the above stated ambiguity, confusion, and incongruity, is too much. The few positives of the crossover episodes simply do not outweigh the oceans found herein. Gavan's momentary presence causes no harm, so long as he isn't encountered anywhere else.

If you're okay with spoilers and are in need of convincing, feel free to check out some of its gif-worthy moments~

4½ :like:s out of 5