Mini reviews of Television seasons old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. Occasional bunnies.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Jonathan Creek: The Clue of the Savant's Thumb (2013)

I adore Jonathan Creek but circumstances caused me to miss a lot of the later episodes and the Christmas specials, so I've no idea how he met Joey Ross* (Sheridan Smith), but I'm glad he did. I like Sheridan, and she doesn't disappoint in the role. Her chemistry with Alan Davies is good, and her eagerness is only equalled by her sassiness.

Jonathan's life has changed. He's retired from the crime solving business but seems ill at ease in his new role, and awkward in his new clothes. I accepted the changes without much affront, but one thing bugged me: where the hell is the windmill? I'd never move out of a windmill, not for anyone!

When a dead body turns up and mysteriously disappears from a locked room on the same day, Jonathan's curiosity is piqued. How could he resist? The story and its sub-plots keep you guessing, with minor reveals being well-paced throughout. There's even a McGuffin that put a dirty big spanner in my deductions.

A handful of guest stars gave me the jollies: Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, and Joanna Lumley (who proves that she can still do drama better than most other 'comedy' actresses, she was superb).

The Beeb have said that viewing figures were higher than expected and consequently a new series has been planned for 2014. It's only going to have 3 episodes, but it's better than nothing. I'm already excited!

Running Time: 89 minutes.

4 actual thumbs out of 5

*I've since caught up on missed episodes, so that's no longer true. See Jonathan Creek: The Grinning Man (2009).

No comments: